One month has passed

(origineel bericht op be-more.nl)

One month has passed

Hi everyone,

Last time I ended with saying that I would sleep with the babies that night, which I did. We actually had a really good night and were able to sleep most of the time. Except for around 2.30 when B. stated to cry, and I had to change her diaper cause but besides that it was a relatively quiet night. In the morning we put all the babies, poop diapers included, in our beds and just cuddled for a little bit before putting them in a bath.
Wednesday was the last time we went ‘out’ to eat with the people that had to leave on Friday. We went early and played glow in the dark midget golf, which was hilarious, and we ate a big fat burger at Spurr, and a brownie for dessert. Thursday we had the ‘baai baai braai’ which is basically a BBQ to say goodbye to the volunteers that were leaving on Friday. Because it’s winter here we could sit outside, which was very nice. A couple of the kids made salads or something else and we all got some suspicious sausage on a piece of bread, but all in all it was fun and nice to just sit and eat with everyone. Also the leaving volunteers had to take care of the entertainment that evening. So they decided to show the kids the pictures of the camp they went to a couple of months before. In the end the kids also did a performance for us which was really nice. And then the next day it was time to say goodbye to the leaving volunteers. I, and the other two volunteers that are staying, went with them to the airport to wave them goodbye. After that we went to the galleria to get groceries, just the three of us, Sophie, Nathatlie and me, it was very quiet.
On Saturday me an Nathatlie went on the trip to oribi gorge, which they call the little grand canyon of South-Africa. But I’ve been to the grand canyon and it’s nothing like it at all. Nevertheless it was really nice! The picture I put on facebook of me sitting on the overhanging rock was taken there, so you can just imagine how it would have been to be there in real life! There was also an opportunity to do a bungee swing. Of course I was waaaay to scared to even consider it, but there were two other people with us that did do the swing and it was awesome to see. They had to, sort of, jump off a cliff and then they would swing in the gorge for a couple of times, really awesome. After that we went to a game park, sort of like a mini hluhluwe, were we actually almost saw more giraffes than we saw during our hluhluwe trip, and a couple of other animals too. We got back to the project at around 5 in the evening. Sophie was playing table tennis with the boys when we got back so Nathalie and me decided to join them and we ended up playing soccer and basketball too. Then around 8, while dripping with sweat, we figured we had to go and eat something so we made some pizza’s. Later that night we ended up on the roof with a couple of the older guys and just talked with them till like 1 in the morning. It was amazing cause on the roof you have this view of the township, and at night it’s all just light that you see.
On Sunday Sophie, Nathalie and myself went to the beach to try and tan a little bit more. Because even though I’ve been here now for 1 month I am not any tanner than I was when I left home. I might even be a little less tan…Not that the weather is not good here. But the problem is that there’s a lot of trees here, and when you’re doing homeschooling you basically sit inside the whole day. Anyways, we went to the beach and we walked into the girls of mother of peace (which is one of the other projects of be more), so we sat with them for a long time. Then for lunch we ate a big chocolate sundae, which was nice ;). In the end I don’t think I got any tanner than I already was, but it was a nice day anyways! O, and of course I swam in the ocean too!
On Tuesday the new volunteer would come. It was just one girl so we are just with four people now, which is a little different than seven, much more relaxed. Anyways, Monday we got told that one of us had to change huts cause it would stinks for the new volunteer to come into an existing group and then also have to sleep alone, while the other three are sharing a hut. This of course caused some sort of drama cause none of us actually wanted to leave just now that we were having such a good time with the three of us. In the end we decided to write our names on paper and just randomly pick one (lootjes trekken). It was Sophie that pulled the short end and she had to move out. Good thing that the new volunteer, caroline, is a great girl so at least that’s a relief. Special for her arrival the street decided to just cut of the energy, so we had no power all night. Luckily this lasted only about 2-3 hours were it could have lasted for 4-5 days according to the stories Sophie told :wink:
The week on daycare on itself was nothing exciting, at least nothing to write about. Anyways, this week I’m on homeschooling again I’m teaching P. and T. which I really like. It’s easier than teaching A. and the boys just talk a lot and are very cozy (gezellig, however there’s no real translation for that very Dutch word).
You’ll hear from me again next week,

Lots of love from South-Africa!

(origineel bericht op be-more.nl)